Manchester Neuro Physio can assist you to achieve your maximum physical potential by treating the problems that arise following a spinal cord injury. During your initial assessment you and your physiotherapist will discuss realistic short and long term goals. These goals will then be at the centre of your rehabilitation. The physiotherapy treatment you receive will be dependent on your symptoms, your goals, and the location and severity of your spinal cord injury.
Physiotherapy for patients with spinal cord injuries can include;
The effects of physiotherapy can be:
- exercises and stretches
- joint care
- pain control
- anticipating and minimising secondary complications
- provision of equipment, orthoses, and wheelchairs
- advice for you and those caring for you on handling techniques
- teaching you how to use specialised exercise equipment
- teach transfers (getting in and out of a wheelchair, bed, car, shower/bath and onto and off a toilet).
- teaching wheelchair skills
- hydrotherapy treatment
- breathing exercises and chest clearance techniques
- referral to appropriate health professionals
- increased quality of life
- increased independence
- increased muscle strength
- increased energy levels
- reduced pain and muscle spasms
- reduced stiffness
- reduced risk of chest infections
Having a spinal cord injury is a life changing event for both you and your loved ones. At Manchester Neuro Physio we aim to make our treatment sessions effective and enjoyable. Many patients develop close relationships with our physiotherapists. This, combined with increased function and independence, allows our patients to lead as fulfilling lives as possible.
To book an appointment call 0161 883 0066, or alternatively request a .